Okay so it wasn't that pretty in terms of performance but it wasn't about speed it was about miles. In the end I stayed on the roads for all but about 3 miles in the middle which was the bit along the sea wall to the Chapel, and it was definitely a nice run. Sea walls in the middle of nowhere are always feel strange to me. On one side you have the natural bleak beauty of the Essex salt marshes and on the other side manicured mono-culture. I suppose in its own way, that's quite nice to look at too.
So my first attempt at a long run for a while and I'm really pleased with my pacing from Miles 7 to 14 which (interesting to me) include the off road sections. I really struggle holding a pace and seem to fluctuate randomly unless I'm running fairly hard. So for anyone interested (?) here's my split times.
1) - 1m - 8:55(8:55/m) - 123cal
2) - 1m - 9:21(9:21/m) - 119cal
3) - 1m - 9:06(9:06/m) - 119cal
4) - 1m - 9:17(9:17/m) - 118cal
5) - 1m - 9:33(9:33/m) - 120cal
6) - 1m - 9:18(9:18/m) - 118cal
7) - 1m - 8:47(8:47/m) - 116cal
8) - 1m - 9:00(9:00/m) - 115cal
9) - 1m - 8:54(8:54/m) - 119cal
10) - 1m - 8:54(8:54/m) - 119cal
11) - 1m - 9:06(9:06/m) - 115cal
12) - 1m - 9:01(9:01/m) - 119cal
13) - 1m - 9:03(9:03/m) - 118cal
14) - 1m - 9:27(9:27/m) - 119cal
15) - 1m - 10:35(10:35/m) - 113cal (I stopped to look at the view here although that was an excuse really).
16) - 1m - 9:10(9:10/m) - 115cal
17) - 0.29m - 3:53(13:16/m) - 32cal
Apparently I burnt up 1917 calories in total which explains how I demolished a massive bowl of couscous half hour after returning.
Looking forward to next week, Im aim for a 8miler on monday, I have the second of the 'Three Blind Mice' trail runs on Wed, and then another long one on Sunday. Im sure I'll try and get in a 4-5 miler on either Thursday or Friday too.